1. Some people believe they should keep all money they have earned and should not pay tax to the state. Do you agree or disagree?
2. More and more measures to improve the security in large urban areas have been introduced in many countries because of the increasing crime rate. Do the benefits of these measures outweigh the drawbacks?
3. Some movies are serious and are designed to make the audience think.Others are designed primarily to amuse and entertain. Which type of movie do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
4. Some people believe that parents have the most important role in a child’s development, while others argue that television or friends have the most significant influence. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
5. Some people think that cultural traditions may be destroyed when they are used as money-making attractions aimed at tourists. Others believe it is the only way to save these traditions. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
6. Nowadays education quality is very low. Some people think we should encourage our students to evaluate and criticize their teachers. Others believe that it will result in a loss of respect and discipline in the classroom. Discuss on both sides.
7. Traffic jam is a problem in many towns and cities. Some people suggest that governments build wider roads in order to solve the problem. Do you agree or disagree?
8. In many countries, teenagers are encouraged to do part-time jobs. What’s the situation like in your country? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of doing part-time jobs?
9. Historical buildings are destroyed for housing schemes in most of the cities these days. Discuss the reason and give your opinion.
10. The level of noise around us is constantly increasing, and is affecting the quality of our lives. What cause the noise? What measures should be taken to deal with the noise?
11. Nowadays people are living an increasingly longer life and in many countries there are more old people than young people. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this trend?
12. Nowadays more and more young people hold the important positions in the government. Some people think that it is a good thing, while others argue that it is not suitable. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
13. People who have original ideas are of much greater value to society than those who are simply able to copy the ideas of others well. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
14. Young people have different ideas and attitudes with their parents and grandparents. What are the differences? What problems may be caused?
15. In some countries, marriages are arranged by the parents but in other cases, people choose their own marriage partner. Discuss both systems.
16. Most people have unhealthy diet and do not do enough exercises. What are the reasons for this? How can we encourage people to have a healthier lifestyle?
17. Some people believe that the best way to produce a happier society is to ensure that there are only small differences between the richest and the poorest members. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
18. Some people think the cheap air flight gives ordinary people more freedom. However, others think the cheap air flight should be banned because it pollutes the air and brings many other problems. Discuss both views and give your opinion.